Monday, August 8, 2011

He-Men: Real-life good guys: The Leader

World, meet Mr Elisha Garcia. I met him maybe 9 years ago at our church in NM. I remember my mom pointing at him and telling my sister that he was the guy she was going to marry. They are definitely on the right path to her being right. He's the perfect man for my sister, but aside from that, he's an incredible man of God. He's brought me to tears on several occasions with the words he preached. He has a gift to lead, and it's awesome to see the work that God does in him. He's a good guy and hope to one day welcome him into our family.

1. What is your story--a brief background of yourself?
My name is Elisha Garcia and I just turned 25...kind of freaking out about it actually. I think it's because I still see myself as an 18 year old kid. I'm on staff as a youth pastor at the BEST church in the World, Living Church, work full time at Apple, and am in a 6 year relationship with the prettiest girl in the world, Melisa Holguin. I've been actively involved in youth ministry since I was 16 and love developing new/creative ways to present the love of an incredible Savior. I'm a graphic designer, lover of music, a realist who loves to dream, cinema snob, and shop-aholic.


2. What/who motivates you daily?
The thought of becoming better and fulfilling the unthinkable dreams inside of me. I know this can make you unappreciative very quickly, but there is a drive inside of me that wants for what's next. I know that God has called us to incredible things and those incredible places are where I want to be.


3. What is your favorite childhood memory?
It's kind of a cheesy guy thing but when I was about 13, every Monday night at 7pm, my dad and I would pop a huge bowl of popcorn, pour a couple cups of Dr. Pepper and watch 2 hours of rehearsed, and drama filled wrestling, known as WWF! Not sure why this was such a bonding point for us, but it became "our thing." The best part was during commercial breaks the room would end up erupting in our little "battle royale" where he'd let me win from time to time.

4. What is your biggest accomplishment?
This is kind of a weird question for me because I'm in a perpetual point of self evaluation (nothing is big enough, or just right), but a few days ago I turned 25 and was able to live out one of my life long goals. I was given the opportunity to preach to 1200 students and youth leaders. The numerics aren't necessarily the impressive part (although I love a crowd), but rather having the responsibility and opportunity of giving a charge to hundreds of people that will affect their life decisions. I'm 25 and speaking to large groups of influential, impressionable people about THEIR lives...that is NUTS!


5. If you could be anyone for a day, who would you be?
Do superheros count? If they do I think I'd be Superman. It may be cliche but I think every boy/man sees a bit of Superman within himself and wishes others saw them the same.

6. When was the last time you cried?
Two weeks ago, during our Youth Camp devotions, I was closing down the main auditorium and something came over me. Call it the 5 weeks of tirelessly working at camp, but the presence of God was thick. It was one of those moments where you feel small and He feels large. The only expression that could come out was thankful, reverent, in awe, tears.


7. Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
Married to my high school sweetheart Melisa Shell (with several animals if she has anything to do with it), leading in some capacity within a local church, pioneering a national resource/ministry.


8. What makes you unique?
This is going to sound like a back door brag, but in all honesty it's not. It's really more of a testament as to what and who God is in my life. I think what makes me so unique is the amount of accomplishments, and life, I've seen for as young as I am. I'm sure several other people have been where I've been, but I take a look at others in my field and the places they've lead and it baffles me. Sometimes I sit back and think I am way too young and unqualified to be leading the people I am, within the size of organization I am.

1 comment:

  1. so sweet. I love seeing people recognize God in their lives, isn't it crazy how amazing he is? Good luck with your ministry :)

    ReplyDelete