Tuesday, May 24, 2011


My mother and stepdad came to visit me this weekend. The first thing they asked to do when they got here was eat at the Salt Lick. If you don't know what the Salt Lick is, I would highly recommend looking it up and/or coming to Austin and trying it--especially if you're a carnivore. It was featured on the Food Network's Man vs. Food. 

The Salt Lick is known for their meat and the giant pits they cook them in. It's located about 20 minutes from my apartment, in Driftwood, Tx. Since they were my visitors, I had to oblige. 

There was an hour and a half wait for a table, but there were picnic tables, strings of lights, shady trees, popcorn and fresh squeezed lemonade to enjoy while we waited. The lemonade was absolutely delicious, and made the lovely summer breeze even better. It had to be the easiest wait for food that I've had to endure.  

Our number was finally called and we were taken to one of the three building that housed the meat pits. Phil and Max were quick to order the all you can eat meat--sausage, pork ribs and brisket. Mom was a little more modest with the choice of three meats. My sister and I were probably the only vegetarians there. We ordered the vegetable plate. 

I don't remember the last time I ate so much food. I literally ate from everyone's plate--had some of my sister'a beans, mom's potato salad, Phil's pickles and Max's coleslaw. 

The coleslaw had to be my favorite. It was very light and super tasty. I ended up drizzling their spicy bar-b-que on pretty much everything. I was surprised at how addictive it was! It was different from other bbqs I've had. And the potato salad was unlike any I've had. It was more like mashed/scalloped potatoes, but awesome nonetheless. 

I'm sure we all ate several pounds worth of food that night. We were miserable...miserably happy. 

Love and light.
Adrienne

No comments:

Post a Comment