Sunday, March 20, 2011

On Holiday at home part 2

Wednesday the 16th was an awesome day. My sister and I slept in a bit and got all dolled up to take photos. It was our mission during this week to take pretty photos for updates on our blogs. Unfortunately, she took the photos with her camera and insisted that they were her property. She's posting wednesday's photos on her blog as a little feature on me. So, keep an eye out for that post.

After the photoshoot, the three of us went to Las Cruces and dropped off my sister at her friend's house. My mom had plans for me as a birthday surprise. We met up with my mom's bff, Dela, who I have always considered another mother. The three of us went to Old Mesilla, a quant little town known mostly for it's association with Billy the Kid. It holds a lot of history within the old adobe buildings, and if you let yourself explore, you can stumble upon some great little restaurants and nooks.


That's what Dela and mom did. They found the cutest little wine tasting/tapas bar. They served wines from all over New Mexico. The best part about New Mexican wine is that's there's always some kind of spice to it, perhaps it's because we mexicans like it hot... The building itself had such a southwest rustic feel to it. The tables outside were community seating, so it was a great place to meet new people. If only this place was around when I lived there, who know's the memories that could've come from it.

The three of us had a great time chit chatting. I hadn't seen Dela in over a year so we did a lot of catching up. Three hours flew by quickly.

Only a handful of my friends from high school and college chose to stay in the enchanted lands of NM. It's lucky for me they did--that way I have someone to hangout with when I go visit. I got to catch up with two of my favorite homies, Amaru and Raul (who came to Austin last year and made an appearance in my blog).

I met them at my second favorite mexican food restaurant in LC, Si Senor--they have delicious salsas and amazing stuffed sopapillas. I've known these guys since my sophomore/junior year in high school. We lost touch during college, so it was really great reminiscing. After we stuffed our faces we decided to share a pitcher at High Desert Brewery. Of all my legal drinking years, I'd not once been there. Tasty drinks and continued great conversation.

We wrapped up the night with a quick stop at Dublin's, it is one of 3 maybe 4 bars in LC. It's just across the street from the university, so it was pretty hopping. It was evident that we were three of the oldest kids there. But it was still so much fun. I really enjoyed the day.

Thursday was our last day in New Mexico. It was lovely because we got to see my beautiful grandparents and aunt and uncle. I hadn't seen them in awhile too, and we easily spent a few hours just catching up. I couldn't get enough of my grandma. She's the prettiest little lady ever. I unfortunately didn't take any photos during our visit, but just to show you how sweet she is, here's a photo of her from my last visit.

After our quality time, I ended up sticking around in Las Cruces for the evening. Seeing how it was St Patricks day, I thought I should celebrate a bit with my friends before I left back to Austin.

I met up with Amaru and Raul again. We had dinner at El Sombrero, my third favorite restaurant. I had a food baby by the time we finished eating. We thought Dublin's would be pretty happening for music and conversation. It was fun, but I was very thankful that I live in a bigger city by the end of the evening.

I had a great week long vacation, lots of r&r, tons of delicious mexican food, and beautiful time spent with my family and friends. I couldn't ask for a better time.

Love and light
Adrienne

No comments:

Post a Comment