Sunday, March 20, 2011

On holiday at home part 1

Though the beginning of my vacation started out full of stress and frustration, it's blossomed into a great time. I've spent a lot of quality time with my siblings and my mother. We did what we do best: created memories.

Sunday the 13th was my mom's birthday. We woke up way too early so we could make it to church. My mom and Max left an hour before us to go to their bible study class that they teach. After sleeping an extra 30 minutes, my brother, sister and I got all snazzied up and drove the 40 minutes it takes to get to our church.

The service was good, and it was fun seeing a bunch of familiar faces. For mom's birthday lunch, we went to Andale's, which is hands down the best place to go for green chili enchiladas. As stuffed as we were, my brother, sister and I still made a little pit stop for some delicious frozen custard at Caliches. It was so very tasty. I had a strawberry cheesecake. To help our food babies pass, the three of us, mom and max laid around and watched Morning Glory, with Rachel McAdams, who's so pretty.

The movie finished just in time to pick up my younger stepbrother, who's been staying with the 'rents, from work. None of the siblings wanted to go because it was midnight and we were tired, but my mom assured us it wouldn't be long. Silly lady just wanted to spend more time with us. His work is a 45 minute drive from our home and when we got there he wasn't officially off. So since we hadn't had enough carbs and calories in one day, we went to Dunkin' Donuts for a midnight snack. Great conversation was exchanged. I love deep conversations and debates with family.

As far as events go, nothing insanely awesome happened on Monday. We all slept in. It was about that day that I started realizing how hot and dry New Mexico is. I woke up parched and with a headache. I guess I was used to it when I lived there, but it took some getting used to not having visited in a year.


My mom, sister, brother and I went to El Paso to run some errands. My brother left back to Albuquerque around 6pm and the ladies and I decided to do some perusing at the outlet mall. With truly no intention of buying anything we walked into the Coach store. I ended walking out with my very first designer bag. She's the prettiest thing, too! I had every intention of buying the purse myself, but my madre and Max insisted on buying it as my bday present. I'm not gonna lie, I got a little teary eyed. I don't deserve it. But, when in Rome...I ended up getting myself a pretty little wristlet to go with it.


Tuesday was way less eventful. With my brother gone, it was just me and my sister. It was by this day that I started to really feel like I was back in high school. The biggest problem with going back home to visit is that "home" is 30 minutes from town. We live on a farm in Anthony, where if you sneeze, you might drive right passed it. We had no car and were somewhat at my mom's disposal.

She dropped us off at Starbucks in Las Cruces in the afternoon. Because our house is so far out, we can't get internet there. We very contently spent four hours blogging, facebooking, and huluing till lunch time. After lunch, we stopped by Boba Cafe (my favorite cafe) and got chocolate bubble tea. They're too fun to drink, and I annoyed my sister by chewing the bubbles obnoxiously loud. Afterwards, we watched most of Whip It while sitting outside in the Walmart parking lot. Now, some may laugh at how ridiculous this part of my vacation seems, but it was the norm growing up. "Get as much done, while in town, as you can." So, it was nice reliving that and spending some quality time with my sis.

Melisa brushed Molly to pretty her up
When we finally got home, mom made calabasita for dinner (squash stew). It was so delicious. We watch a Lifetime channel movie as we ate dinner. It's one of my mom's favorite channels (that and HLN). We humored her and didn't complain, and it turned out to be pretty entertaining. Dim Sum was the title, if you're interested in partaking in some bad acting and ridiculous plot watching.

Love and light
Adrienne

No comments:

Post a Comment