Thursday, October 27, 2011

Welts and Hives

Last night after an amazing evening with my family in Houston, I drove the 2.5 hrs back to Austin and fell asleep quick once I got home. My slumber was short lived though. I was woken up an hour later, at 2am, to me scratching at my face, head and body. I felt like my body was on fire from all the itching that was going on. My chest felt heavy and couldn't breathe out of my nose

Still half asleep, I called for Phil to bring me Benadryl. I walked to the bathroom, and to my horror I was greeting in the mirror by welts all over my face and body. Instantly, I started panicking, which probably didn't help the situation. Phil freaked out too, which didn't help either.

After a short call to his mom, a nurse, he decided he needed to take me to the doctors. Apparently, there are no 24hr urgent cares in our area, so we had to go to the emergency room at the hospital down the street.

I told them I had an allergic reaction to something (still have no idea what it was), and instantly the doctors and nurses were taking my vitals, checking my throat, and giving shots. I was grateful for their swiftness, because by that point my mouth felt numb and my fingers were swelling.

I was given a steroid shot that stopped and soothed the welts and hives and they gave me a shot of Benadryl for the itching. I felt sooo weird as my heart was beating fast from the steroid and the Benadryl was making me sleepy. Not a fun feeling.

I was released around 5am. Phil drove me home and tucked me in. I was fortunate to get my 6am shift covered by my assistant, and took a sick day. The 10hrs of sleep was a big help with my wooziness.

Feeling a whole lot better now, with minor itchiness and a small feeling of swelling in my hands, but I'll survive. It was a scary situation. Nothing like this had ever happened to me before. Prayers are much appreciated!

Love and light.
Adrienne

No comments:

Post a Comment