Sunday, August 10, 2014

My big takeaway from India

Going to India on a mission trip has truly been life changing. I will be posting many posts of photos and the AMAZING work that God did there through my team, but first I wanted to post a little self reflection as an American who has a life of comforts.

Things I've Taken for Granted:
-Toilets
-Shower curtains
-Showers
-Doors
-Clean water
-A/C
-Soft beds
-Coffee
-Music
-Alone/free time
-Not needing to put on shoes to use the restroom
-Dressing when I'm fully dried off
-Being in charge of my own schedule
-Wearing shorts and tanks in the heat/at all
-Propping my feet up after a long day
-Whistling
-A home with a floor
-Supermarkets/grocery stores
-WiFi
-Paved roads
-Not covering my head during prayer


We live a very plush life here in America, and it isn't until we don't have our comforts that we learn their value. However, as amazing as all these things are in my life, I could do/did without. I loved every minute of going without these comforts and embraced it. Yes, I may have said a silent prayer every time I used a "squatty potty," but I mastered it by the second day. Yes, sitting on a wet toilet seat (when we are blessed with a home that has one) and wondering "is this pee or shower water," isn't always easy, but I gave thanks to at least be sitting while doing my business. Yes, sleeping on a table is difficult at first, but my back never felt better. And yes, wearing a couple layers of full-body covering clothing is so very difficult in 100+ degree weather, but at least I'm not the only one sweating profusely.

The point is, I realized that these are all just things. Whatever you have on earth is only temporary. If you work hard at getting what you want, you might eventually have a "pleasurable" life, but in the end you will find it hollow and empty. Follow Jesus, and you will know what it means to live abundantly now and to have eternal life as well.

This was one of the bigger takeaways from India, things are things, the true gift is God's love.

Love and light.
Adrienne



No comments:

Post a Comment