Friday, January 14, 2011

A little something for the lady

I tend to spend more time doing things for others. It's something I enjoy doing, but I spend little time focusing on me and my needs. I made sure to take time out today and yesterday to spoil myself a little.

I had the day off yesterday. First thing was first, I slept in. Let me clarify. My idea of "sleeping in" is 10am--not 1pm or 2pm like it was when I was in high school. Those two extra hours are more than enough for me to feel rested. 

This was followed shortly by a deep clean of the bathroom. I'm sure you're asking yourself why I consider this as me doing something for myself. I grew up in an insanely clean house, and I guess it brings back a feeling of comfort. Nonetheless, I felt very proud and pleased with the outcome of my rubbing alcohol and windex smelling water closet. After cleaning, I went to the gym to do an hour of cardio and an hour of yoga. It was everything I could hope for, but I sure was sore afterwards. 

The mr and I had planned a date night since we hadn't had one in ages. I was making a romantic dinner and he was getting the wine and movie. To get my ingredients, I went to Whole Foods. Just being in that store makes me feel healthier and happier. I bought a new pair of Toms, some bell peppers and onions and a bouquet of my favorite flowers, gerbera daisies. I couldn't remember the last time I got flowers, and I was really excited to use my new soup bottle as a vase. 

Dinner was delish, bell peppers and onions with sausage (faux sausage for me). It's Phil's favorite dish so of course it was a big hit. We shared a bottle of Kitchen Sink red table wine and watched Salt with Angelina Jolie--she's too pretty to be real. I passed out with Madison in my lap in a kinda sitting/kinda laying position shortly after the movie ended. It was a great way to end a day.

Today was even better. Work was awesome. My DM delivered my review today and had many positive things to say about my job performance these past few months. She was excited to see what the upcoming months were going to bring and how far I am going to go with the company. She also told me I was finally going to have a fully staffed team. As you may know, I've been without any assistant managers since mid December. The store should typically run with two assistants. I finally felt like the pay off for working so hard this past month had finally arrived. 

After work, my handsome friend, Sean, surprised me with a text saying he was in town. He's a flight attendant and every once in awhile he gets a layover in ATX. We realized we hadn't seen each other in six months and had much to catch up on. We decided that dinner would do the trick. I dolled myself up and even wore earrings (something very out of the ordinary for me to do). Dinner was at Trudy's which involved one crappy margarita and crappy service, but the conversation made up for it. Both of us were worn from such a long day of work, we had no energy to go out and play. We called it a night at 10pm and went on our own ways. 

I'm so grateful to have the people that I have in my life. Everyone plays their own part to making me the person I am. I'm also thankful that I'm able to appreciate the joy a flower can bring to my day. Oh, the joys of life.


No comments:

Post a Comment